How to Use Medela Breast Pump December 01, 2015 14:55
Even if you want to keep your baby on breast milk for the first little while of his or her life, you’ll find that you don’t always have the option to breastfeed. Thankfully, you can use your Medela breast pump in Seattle to pump the milk that your baby needs. If you’re using your pump for the first time, you may be wondering how to use it properly. Here are steps that you can take to make it a great experience for you:
- Sanitize the parts of your breast pump by boiling them in a pot of water for 10 minutes. Wait for them to completely dry before using them.
- Check the parts for any damage. You should have any broken or damaged parts replaced before using your pump.
- Wash your hands before handling the breast pump.
- Assemble your breast pump. Refer to your instruction manual if you need any assistance.
- Attach the tubing from the pump into the pump base. Attach the power source from the base to the power outlet.
- Place the breastshield over your breast. Make sure that your nipple is centered under the shield.
- Turn on the power source. The pump should start in a stimulation phase to help express your milk. If it doesn’t work after a few minutes, turn off the system. Allow yourself to relax for 15-20 minutes before trying again.
- Once the milk has expressed, you should adjust the speed and volume. Turn it up to the maximum speed in which you still feel comfortable.
- Pump each side for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Allow the pump to run for a moment after you’ve removed your breast. This will help remove any condensation that has formed inside of the pump.
Once you’re done using your Medela breast pump in Seattle, you should clean it off and store your milk. Remember that you can store your milk in the refrigerator for 3-8 hours or in the freezer for 6-12 months. If you plan on using the milk right away, know that the milk will spoil after 2 hours.